What is Argan Oil??
Argan Oil is also known as Oil of Morocco or ‘Liquid Gold’.
It has been around for years and years and has been a well kept secret by those living around these trees.
Argan Trees are native to Morocco. They grow a fruit that is inedible to us but is enjoyed by goats.
The oil itself comes from the nut of the fruit.
Argan Oil has become one of the rarest oils in the world, as the trees grow only in specific areas, mainly in South West Morocco. These areas are generally drought affected, and very harsh environmentally.
Liquid Gold you say??
Argan oil is also known as “Liquid Gold”. In traditional times. before modern machinery, it was reported by the “The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology”, that the process of producing Argan oil was very laborious. It used to take one person approx 2 and 1/2 days to produce 2 litres of oil (the same amount as your standard coke bottle). They would use 100 kilograms of fruit. From this it was labelled liquid gold and became the most expenses oil to produce.
With new mechanical methods, it has reduced the labour factor substantially – now it takes around 13 hours to produce 6 litres of oil. The amount of fruit is the same. It is extremely difficult to produce, and as there is many hours of manual labour it remains a pricey oil.
Note: If you are buying Argan Oil on its own or in products and they are really cheap….you may need to do some research to ensure you are getting what you pay for………and if it isn’t pure just what are you putting on your hair and skin?????
How is Argan oil is processed?
In our current world with all the advances in machinery, most Argan oil processing is done by a process called cold pressing.
The fruit gets picked off the trees, and the nuts from them extracted. The nuts are then compressed by a modern steel press to extract the oil. The is the most effective way to not only access the oil but it causes no damage to them and the oils remain pure. Other methods used are boiling, solvent and refining. These other methods are known to strip the oil of all its natural benefits.
These include antioxidants, vitamins and colours.
So what is Argan Oil used for?
It has soooooo many uses!! I am sure you could find a use for it!! Here are just some of the ways you can use the oil:
- It is is non greasy and helps to improve you texture and shine
- Use on oil hair to regulate oily secretion of the sebaceous glands
- Put through wet hair before using heating tools (hair dryer etc), this helps reduce the amount of time you have to style
- Argan oil nourishes hair cuticles to promote strong and healthy growth
- It helps to detangle, remove knots and help with managing your hair
- Helps to tame frizzy hair
- Argan oil has anti-ageing properties so it is a great wrinkle treatment!
- Easily removes makeup
- Effective all day moisturiser that is non greasy
- Use as a primer under your makeup
- Use on burns (household and sun)
- Fantastic for taming Psoriasis
- Fantastic at relieving the itches of eczema
- Helps keep your lips luscious
- Improves skin elasticity – for stretch marks
- Helps to replenish your skins moisture
So now you know there isn’t any bad or ugly with Argan Oil. Just the good!! Well I mean …AMAZING!!